Wow. I haven't been on this thing forever. But just a note to say I am back, and I will be on it again.
Go nuts - any fandom, show, whatever...
Pick a character and I will tell you...
01. Why I like him/her.
02. Why I dislike him/her.
03. What plot I would like to read in a fic about him/her.
04. What crossover fic I'd love to see, with the superpowers from that fandom?
05. Who I ship him/her with.
APPEALING TO GOD AS AN APPEAL TO AUTHORITY:
An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy that follows a form similar to such:
Person A is proposed to be an authority on Subject X.
Person A makes a statement (Claim Z) that is about Subject X.
Therefore, Claim Z is true.
The fallacy occurs when, in fact, Person A is not an authority on Subject X at all.
I quote the above to show what an appeal to authority is. Since any reading of Scripture follows the assumption that the creator God is the real and living God of the Universe, then we must maintain that assumption so as to pick apart Scripture adequately.
Therefore, it is no longer personal opinions that matter in the effort to understand Scripture (as not to commit all kinds of other fallacies - such as eisegesis like reading our own ideas into Scripture) - but the opinions of Scripture itself.
It is evident then, that basing it on the Scriptural position of the existence and personality of the creator God, that the omnipotence of God would show that appealing to Him as authority in ANYTHING would not be fallacious.
He knows all things, He created all things - "the wisdom of man is the foolishness of God" - and then when God speaks of anything we should expect it to be true.
"May God be true and every man a liar".
SPECIAL PLEADING AND GOD OR CHRIST:
Special Pleading is a fallacy in which a person applies standards, principles, rules, etc. to others while taking herself (or those she has a special interest in) to be exempt, without providing adequate justification for the exemption.
Therefore, on the definition above... what is adequate justification for special pleading?
Certainly going on the base assumption that God is real then, special pleading would not be a fallacy for things that are not under the other common laws/rules of the universe.
Since only things in observable in the universe can be adequately weighed, certainly things like supernatural phenomena or a Spirit would be excused from regular laws on earth - such as the law of gravity.
It is not stated that ALL THINGS PERIOD fall under the laws of logic or gravity... but certain things that must be defined as a whole or individually (that can be observable).
Since God is not observable, such as the law of logic, thermodynamics and gravity - it would be necessary to infer that God cannot go under the fallacy of special pleading.
God is an exception to the rule - as only observable people (things and animals) are under this rule.
Since God can not possibly be subject to the laws of logic, then it is not "special pleading" to infer that He is exempt from the laws of logic (in fact it is the obvious inference).
1. What is your favorite anime?
2. What is your favorite flavor of kool-aide
3. Where do you want to be in 50 years?
4. What is your favorite childhood memory?
5. If you could spend 2 million dollars on anything but yourself, what would you spend it on?
(Reply to this)(Parent) (Thread)
2007-02-21 09:50 am UTC (link)
Comment Posted Successfully
1. Avatar: the last airbender. Couldn't ya tell?
2. ummmm... red. (I haven't tried too many).
4. I had to sift through a lot of embarrassing ones... but I think I got one. When I was younger our school took a feild trip to the zoo and we were asked who wanted to hold this huge python and I was the only one in my class who did.
People may have thought I was weird, but it started up my affection for reptiles.
5. There's at least a billion people who need it. But it's certainatly not going to the west.
Thanks hon! I'll be putting this up on my journal too! ;)
Well, we've arrived back in stinky China.
Shanghai was... polluted... and cold.
I guess after all that fresh air and blue skies, we really took for granted a 'normal' society...
Now we're sharing with another Qlder, which is alright... it was just a shock at first. We have a big apartment but Steve and I were really looking forward to having it ourselves.
God always knows how to give you paitence through trails. It's not about what I want but about what God wants. I know that.
Problem is that it seems everyone here (Chinese) is a liar... and it's just frustrating to try and communicate with liars. They're not even good at it, but no matter what you say they still keep telling you a lie.
But it's not about them. I don't judge the behavior outside the church. I'll just keep praying for faith and to walk in the Spirit.
Every time I've been walking in the flesh it has been sin... but I seem to do it every day.
God help me!
Ohhhh.... I did a 'Lost' character quiz and got Sun. Go figure. I'm a 'traditionalist' - which is funny because that's the opposite of what I was before I was born again. Praise God, He can turn even the most fervernt sinner around!
1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Ummm..... man. This just confirmed how boring I am. Started a journal. :D
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Only make one, and that's to follow J Dawg.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yep. I'm an aunt.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not overly close to me. But someone who was close to the family.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Paitence and better self control.
7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
New Years party. Mr Chen drunk. Lol.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Growing in the word.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not letting go with the kids enough.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Pendanent for mum. She's still talking about it! ;)
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Stevefu. He really is a blessing to me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I can't really judge others without judging myself first.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The beach!!! And new episodes of Avatar *blushes*
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Ummmm... anything by The Click 5, Aly and AJ or Snow Patrol, I guess.
17. Compared to this time last year, you are:
Learning more and going somewhere (as slowly as it seems) :D
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing. Wish I could write all the time, but yeah... sometimes I need a break. Witnessing, but it's really hard to do in China. Schoolwork.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Well, this is a bit late. Christmas was a non-event. I was working. No Christmas in China.
22. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Over and over again (I love you Jesus!)
ELIMINATED STUPID QUESTION
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not a person. Just ideas, I guess.
26. What was the best book you read?
One on relativism.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Cross Movement (totally rock).
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
To run away and join the monks.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Monster House. Most movies kinda sucked.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Hahahahahahahaha. Not saying. Went to a beautiful Chinese park.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Fellowship with God to the max!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
nonchalant... or modest. it's the China thang.
34. What kept you sane?
J Dawg again.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Henry Morris. I'm probably the only one to put an 82 yr old (now dead) scientist on the top of the fancy list.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Communism VS the western world's stupidity.
37. Who did you miss?
Church friends. Saw them this yr though!
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Charlee. She's always been a sweetie. And Ellen.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
This world = stupid. V. stupid.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
My mantra, I sing all the time;
"When peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot thou has taught me to say 'it is well, it is well, with my soul'"
Leave your name and:
1. I'll respond with something random about you
2. I'll challenge you to try something
3. I'll pick a color that I associate with you
4. I'll tell you something I like about you
5. I'll tell you my first/clearest memory/special event of you
6. I'll tell you what animal you remind me of
7. I'll ask you something I've always wanted to ask you
8. I'll tell a character I associate with you
9. I'll tell name a song I associate with you
10. If I do this for you, you must post this on yours